The Mission of Fresno County Women Lawyers
The purpose of FCWL is to promote the interests of the legal community in general and women in particular. FCWL does this by offering monthly luncheons on legal topics of interest and providing MCLE credits, coordinating charitable fundraising events focused on women’s issues, honoring and celebrating legal professionals who advance women’s issues, and by offering an opportunity for legal professionals to learn leadership skills by participating on the board and committees.
The primary membership area shall include Fresno County, and surrounding Counties, including, but not limited to Madera, King, Tulare, Kern and Merced.
Message from the president
Fresno County Women Lawyers welcomes you to its new website! My name is Emilia P. E. Morris and I am the FCWL president for 2022. FCWL was founded almost 50 years ago to promote the interests of women lawyers living and working in Fresno County. We continue to bring women lawyers and supporters of women lawyers together for community and to further our goals of advancing women in the profession, improving the administration of justice, bettering the position of women in society, eliminating inequities based on sex, and providing an organization for collective action and expression.
In the coming year, we have many educational and social events planned to further our mission. The COVID-19 pandemic has posed unusual challenges for FCWL. To adapt, we have migrated many of our events online to bring our community together while following the most up-to-date health and safety guidelines. As pandemic conditions improve, we look forward to hosting more live events.
- MCLE Luncheons – Currently we hold these events via Zoom and offer one hour of MCLE credit free of cost for FCWL members and $10 for non-members.
- Happy Hours – These are social and networking opportunities for FCWL members and the legal community in general. Happy hours will resume as COVID conditions permit.
- Judicial Reception – We hold our judicial reception in the late spring in honor of new women judges. This event is tentatively set for late May 2022.
- Hanson Awards Banquet – We look forward to hosting our Hanson Awards Banquet in person this year after its pandemic hiatus. This popular event is held in honor of the first woman appointed to the Fresno County Superior Court and the Fifth District Court of Appeal, Justice Pauline Hanson. At our banquet, we honor one local female lawyer for her contributions to the community, and recognize the winner of the Hanson Scholarship, which is awarded to a current female law student. This event is tentatively set for mid-October 2022.
- Volunteer Activities – Each year FCWL supports a philanthropic organization through donations of volunteer time and resources.
In addition, FCWL is a cofounder of the Central Valley Unity Bar, a coalition of affinity bar associations that pursues equality, representation, and advancement of diverse communities in the legal profession, including on the bench. Through the Unity Bar and in its own right, FCWL endorses judicial candidates that support the mission of FCWL and have demonstrated a commitment to women in the legal field.
If you would like to join our listserv, please email your name and contact information to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram @fresno_county_women_lawyers.
We look forward to an inspiring 2022 with our FCWL community!
Emilia P. E. Morris
Tentative MCLE Luncheon Dates
January 26, 2022
March 22, 2022
April 26, 2022
July 26, 2022
August 30, 2022
November 29, 2022
Please check your email for MCLE details.
FCWL plans to host the Hanson Dinner on September 29, 2022.
want to sponsor this fcwl website?
Get your logo seen throughout this website by contacting us here